Thursday, June 28, 2007

STT 2007 #4: Donny Osmond

A couple of Saturdays ago I was in my sister's apartment playing Phase 10 with Dub, Cash, and Cash's husband, Tino. Tino and Cash had been to the recording of a public radio show, "Don't Tell Me!" Apparently one of the guests had been Donny Osmond. Tino and Cash recounted a part of the show to us as we played. Apparently Mr. Osmond had been recording his 55th album, which ended up being ...um... I think love songs of the 1970's. Exciting, isn't it?

During our game of Phase 10 Cash would suddenly burst out into song - something that I think is from Donny's 55th album. It was always the same part of the same song: "And sometimes when we touch..."

I lost the game. Miserably. And I had every intention of winning it. Ah well.

So, the next day, yes, the very next day I went to a meeting. There were some musical performances at the meeting. And guess what? Yep, one of the performers was Donny Osmond! Yesssss! I became the expert on Donny Osmond because I had heard the recounting of "Don't Tell Me!" So, I told the friend sitting next to me the little tidbits I knew about Donny: that he had recently played Gaston from Beauty and the Beast on Broadway and that he was releasing his 55th album of love songs from the 1970's.

He sang enjoyable songs, such as Any Dream Will Do and Puppy Love. I enjoyed the concert. I really like to listen to live music and normally like to watch the performers entertain me (there are exceptions). Donny Osmond was very entertaining; it almost surprised me. I had been having such an enjoyable time, and then to top it off he finished with Sometimes When We Touch! What an appropriate way to end the concert!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donny is awesome. Recording the Donny and Marie talk show was a guilty pleasure of mine after college. Something about him just seems so likeable.

I wish I had musical performances at my meetings. :-)

Cardine said...

Yeah, Donny seemed really likeable. He was super-entertaining, too. I actually sort of thought to myself, "Where have you been all my life?"

It was really my first experience with anything to do with him. I had only heard of him previous to that experience. He was quite good.

Anonymous said...

It's actually called "Wait Wait ... Don't Tell Me!" And it was very enjoyable.

Indy said...

I am glad you had fun. I must admit I am not a big fan of Donny - shhhh, don't tell...