Being single, it seems like I have a greater opportunity than my married counterparts to be around people who are sick of being single. Because of that, and because I spent a few minutes the other night looking at this website, I want to document the things that I love about being single, and why I don't think my situation is sad at all, and why I think people should stop talking so much about guys or bemoaning their singlehood:
1. When I wake up in the morning and find myself askew all over the bed, it's okay because I haven't stolen any blankets and haven't creeped over into anyone else's space. I can go to sleep and wake up without regard to anyone in my household's schedule.
2. I can eat whatever I want for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I don't have to hear any complaints if I make something someone else doesn't like, and I don't have to be careful about anyone else's dietary needs or desires.
3. I have my own bathroom. Actually, I have three bathrooms to myself, unless I invite people over.
4. All toothbrushes in the house are mine and have not been used by anybody else.
5. I have the financial freedom to do what I want when I want (I don't have to consult with anyone about how to spend and what to spend).
7. I get to hang out with my single friends, and they're so cool and fun!
8. No poopy diapers. I know this isn't just a singlehood thing, but children (poopy diapers) and matrimony are positively correlated.
9. I can watch what I want on tv and have control of the remote.
10. The only nerdy and terrible movies on my Netflix queue are ones that I put there.
11. I can be as clean as I want and as slobby as I want at my house.
12. I can go a long while without shaving without anyone really being any the wiser. I should take advantage of this more often.
13. I can squeeze from the middle of the toothpaste tube, and nobody cares.
14. I can make constellations on my bedroom ceiling because I like them, and nobody makes fun of me for it.
15. I can watch all 50 Disney animated movies for a future blog post without driving anyone crazy, except myself.
16. Everything is where I put it.
17. I don't have to worry emotionally about that particular relationship. There are no fights or drama in my household, and I don't have expectations or have to worry about anyone else's expectations of me.
18. I can play the piano late at night.
19. I rarely wake up at night because there's nothing to wake me up.
20. If I want silence, I get it.
21. Plenty of time to contemplate and ponder (I really like this).
22. My stuff is mine. I don't have to share.
23. I always get the last piece of the cherry pie.
24. I can work for long hours without anyone at my house complaining and without feeling like I'm shirking family responsibilities.
25. People don't ask you to do stuff as much at church. They're just glad you're there.
So anyway, I'm enjoying life. I'm sure you are, too, in your situation. So, now my question to you is: what do you like about your situation, whether it be a situation of singlehood, parenthood, marriedhood, engagedhood, widowhood, divorcedhood, retiredhood, or childhood? Tell me, and please, feel free to gloat.