Sunday, November 27, 2011

Nearing the End of the Year

This week it's going to be December. I can hardly believe it. When the week of Thanksgiving began, I kept thinking that it just couldn't be Thanksgiving already! Where did the year go? What have I accomplished this year? Did I accomplish any of my goals?

I mean, since my last goal list post, I have been working on some of those goals, but the only one I truly accomplished was going to Lagoon. Nevertheless, I have accomplished a lot, thinking back on it. The reality is that I have all sorts of unwritten goals in my head. I only made one New Year's resolution, and I rocked that one this year. It was accomplished mostly in early January, if not completely and maintained throughout the year.

Another goal I'm happy to have achieved was to purchase a painting for my living room. I finally tracked down the name and painter of the painting I really wanted and once and for all wrote that one off, as I called the entity who owns the rights to the painting and was informed that it will not be sold. So, I was able to, in good conscience, buy my second choice painting, which I think goes great in my room. It matches the couches. Now, if only I could find the additional throw pillows I want for the room...

And in all the other areas, they are a work in progress, but the point is that there has been progress, and that's important. I also accomplished all of the goals for myself that I didn't write down that I felt were most important. My object is to simplify my life and to figure out just a few things that I feel are really worthwhile and to work on those. There are only 365 days in a year. Approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of that is spent sleeping. Another good portion is spent working. Time is short. Do what you want, but make sure it's what you really want!

So, what do you really want?

5 comments:

Erin Shakespear said...

Great post (I am up late scoping out RC helicopters for my boys....ack! Why can't I find with really good reviews??!!)

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Doing the things that I really want to do. Not just the things that are easy or fun in the moment. I need to be better at organizing my time.

Have a happy December! :)

Mellissa said...

So true that we have such a short amount of time. We should definitely spend that time not only doing things we enjoy, but doing good things.

I know I need to spend more time with my kids, being actively engaged in conversation or playtime with them. I also want to simplify my life, but sometimes that seems to complicated. Paradoxical.

dub said...

I understand your feelings of accomplishment for having found a picture for your wall. That's a hard thing to do -- you really have to like the picture, since you will see it every day. And it's scary to put holes in the wall.

After being in our house for over a year, we finally put up pictures last week. At last! The room looks so much better now.

I'm looking forward to seeing your picture.

Anonymous said...

Good thought-provoking question! I want to re-assess this year's resolutions and actually try to accomplish them!

It may mean I don't blog as much... or read people's blogs as much... and... what's Facebook?

tearese said...

I'm curious about what those two paintings are.