Friday, January 25, 2019

The 2018 Movie Post

So I am really late getting this out. I started working on this in December, but I guess I sort of forgot about it for a few weeks because I kept going out of town. I'm sure the three of you who read this don't mind so much, right? This post has spoilers. Like, for reals. Spoilers.

Here are my previous years' posts: 201720162015201420132012201120102009200820072006, and 2005.




Movies I saw in 2018:


1. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindlewald - I had a hard time ordering these this year, but finally I gave this one #1. I actually didn't even like it quite as well as the first one in the series, but I thought it was still a good installment of the franchise, and it did make me want to see the next one. Ultimately, this is the movie that I thought I'd watch the most when I finally buy it. I like Jude Law as Dumbledore, but I do have to say that none of the Dumbledores have seemed like the same person to me. I suppose you're never really the same person from when you are young to when you're old, but I just don't feel like he's the same person that was characterized in the Harry Potter stories at all. I love all the rest of the characters, and I like wondering what's going to happen next.


2. Mission: Impossible - Fallout - I did a rewatch of the franchise before I saw this one, and I have to say that I'm glad that I did. I feel like I caught a lot more of what was going on the whole time. But also, there was nothing surprising at all. The plot was very see-through, even involving his wife. That being said, this was just a good and interesting action-adventure movie. I do love the Mission Impossible franchise, and all of the movies are great, except maybe #2, but even that is tolerable.


3. Ant-Man and the Wasp - Although this is not my favorite Avengers movie, it is a hilarious one. I love the antics of all of the characters, and I am always laughing at the silliness exhibited by the main character, as well as all of the side characters. The plot is just okay (it's kind of preposterous, actually), but the fact that they don't take themselves seriously and have a good time with the movie is what makes it.


4. Black Panther - This movie is definitely in my top half of the Avengers movies. It was different from the others and had a good plot. The villain is probably one of the better villains in all of the franchise. I enjoyed the beauty of Wakanda and all of the technological advances they had there. It would be awesome to have a city like that in the world. I also think that Lupita Nyong'o is an excellent actress. I feel like I could see her in a bunch more movies, and I wish she would be cast in more films.


5. Solo: A Star Wars Story - I really enjoyed this movie. Although I don't think these extra Star Wars stories are necessary, I really liked this one. I like who they got to play Han, and I especially thought that Donald Glover nailed Lando Calrissian. The obsession with capes was hilarious. The only part I didn't quite like about the movie was that Darth Maul was in it. It's a problem I have with the whole franchise storyline. No doubt that they really didn't have enough of him in Episode I, but I really resented when they brought him back in the Clone Wars series. It's my own pet peeve.


6. A Quiet Place - I am a fan of scary movies as long as they're not too gross or too evil-scary. So basically, I'm okay with PG-13 or PG-type scary movies. This one had a creepy but intriguing plot. I definitely was trying to stay quiet on the way home from the theater. They set up the stage so well, that even the theater talkers were quiet. I liked that part of it. It was a little too bloody for me, and honestly, I'm a bit bugged because I didn't see the resolution to the nail sticking out of the board. It still bothers me. Did they fix that? Did someone else step on it? What happened? Excellent thriller.


7. Bohemian Rhapsody - I enjoyed this movie. I don't know if anyone else felt like they didn't get enough of the entire songs, though. Like, I had to go listen to the real full versions of the songs later because I felt like they did cliff-hanging on those songs. Anyway, the story of Freddie Mercury was interesting and kept my attention. This is the sort of movie that helps me really appreciate the differences and talents that everyone has. For me it highlighted the value of every single person, and it made me hope that I always treat everyone kindly and appropriately.


8. Avengers: Infinity War - I liked this movie. When I saw this movie in the theater, it felt really long, like they packed a lot of plot and action into the movie. They did a good job of really taunting the viewers at the end and adding the feeling of futility and despair and loss of the Avengers. I'm looking forward to and curious for the resolution on the next movie.


8.5. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Man, I was really struggling this year to add all the things I saw. I had to edit this in February to add this! I really liked this one. It was enjoyable and told a heartwarming story, and I liked all of the actors. I would recommend this one.


9. The Incredibles 2 - This was good, clean fun. I like that they picked up where they left off, even though there was something that felt a little bit different in this movie than the first. I really enjoyed this one.


10. Ready Player One - I haven't read the book, but this one felt like an adaptation. It was good, but the whole time for me it felt like I was missing maybe some character development or something? Maybe it's that I'm not really into video games, so maybe I didn't understand the overall appeal. Still, it was a good movie, though, and it was different from a lot of movies, which is always good.


I also saw:


Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom - I liked the Jurassic World movie, but I don't know if I just can't accept dinosaurs roaming the USA or what? Like, will the next one have dinos roaming the Las Vegas strip or something? I'm just not sure how I feel about that. There was so much of the movie that wasn't plot but was just chaos from being chased by even scarier dinosaurs than the last time. Like, okay, enough of that. You don't have to create new dinosaurs to make me freaked out by them. I'm already freaked out by the ones that were in the original movie.


The Commuter - Yeah, okay, Liam Neeson. I'm just not sure if I like him as an action movie star. For me, I would instead typecast him in dramas. But that's just me. It wasn't a terrible movie, but I wasn't that into it, either. I'd put this in the category of movies that you watch when you're sick and don't want to think about anything.


A Wrinkle in Time - I think this book is great. I thought the movie adaptation of that book was okay. I feel like maybe they were trying too hard with the hair and makeup. It all seemed a bit too fake. I get that it's a fantasy-esque movie, but using extra glitter and makeup didn't really cut it for me. It made it look like a Nickelodeon special, and I sort of resented that about the movie. I think they should have taken it more seriously or at least lay off the glitter.


Tomb Raider - This was okay. Oddly enough, for a mummy-type movie, I actually enjoyed it more than the actual Mummy movies. But I feel like it was more of the caliber of an amusement park ride and less of an actual movie. I still enjoyed it, though. It felt like it needed more adventure and less dire straits.


The House with a Clock in its Walls - I think this was decent for a kids movie. The clowns and puppets and dolls and mannequins were super creepy.


Ralph Breaks the Internet - This was a fun movie. It wasn't great, but it had some clever stuff.


The Cloverfield Paradox - It's like, I really wanted this to be good, but then there was a disembodied hand that apparently had free will and a brain to communicate. I can suspend my disbelief somewhat far, but that was too far.


The 15:17 to Paris - I mean, if you're going to have a shooter on a train story, it really should be based on real events. The appeal to this movie was actually that they had some of the real people play themselves. It felt a bit more like a home movie that way, but I think it was okay because I knew those were the real people.


I also saw some Film Festival Movies: 


Krieg - This was good. Because it was done in the actual languages, I was having a problem figuring out who was who, even though I speak a little bit of German. It was enjoyable enough, but if I were to watch a movie like this, I would pick the movie Tangerines (see below). Still, though, I have no complaint with the acting or anything else. You may enjoy this if you ever have the chance to watch it.


Lear's Shadow - Well, I guess I cried a little bit. This is clearly a movie for theater nerds, as it's basically likening the King Lear story to contemporary fictional events of family and good family friends. It was a film, but it is clearly intended to be played out in a small theater, maybe a black box theater.


I also saw from 2015:


Tangerines (the foreign film from Georgia) - I really enjoyed this movie. It's worth the watch if you're into war movies.


Woman in Gold - I liked this, but it also made me really frustrated for continued exploitation of a people who had everything taken from them.


Sing - I wanted this to be better than it was. It was just okay.


I also saw from 2016:


The Secret Life of Pets - It was just okay also. I guess I'm not that into pets.


Suicide Squad - I didn't really care for this that much. It was okayish and kind of dumbish.


Miracles from Heaven - This was a nice story, made nice by the fact that it was based on true events. I think it would have come off as really corny if I hadn't known that.


Queen of Katwe - I really liked this. As previously mentioned, I like Lupita Nyong'o, so I enjoyed her in this movie, as well.


Inferno - This was a super creepy movie at first, but then I enjoyed it for the mysterious adventure that it was. I enjoyed that it went to Istanbul in the Basilica Cistern. I have been to a bunch of places that were in this movie, so I think it made it more enjoyable than it otherwise would have been. The only unrealistic thing about this movie is that they didn't eat enough gelato when they were in Italy. (ha!)


I also saw from 2017:


The Post - I enjoyed this movie. It wasn't great, but it was good.


Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - I laughed and laughed. It was such a stupid but fun movie.


Justice League - I actually enjoyed this one, even though it was pretty preposterous. Maybe I'll even see Aquaman because maybe they've figured out how to make decent movies again?


Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - This was so forgettable. It's on Netflix now, and I started watching it, thinking I hadn't seen it, but then I was like, oh yeah, I did see this. So forgettable.


The Dark Tower - Eh, it was alright. I mean, I'm not going to watch it all the time, but I could see it again.


Coco - I loved it. I could watch this all the time.


Darkest Hour - I thought this was a fantastic movie. It was super enjoyable and well-made!


Movies I still want to see from 2017:


The Space Between Us

The LEGO Batman Movie (maybe)
Wonder

Movies I still want to see from 2018:


Maze Runner: The Death Cure

Ocean's 8
Christopher Robin
Crazy Rich Asians
Venom
The Nutcracker and the Four Realms?
Creed II
Robin Hood?
Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle
Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse
Mary Poppins Returns
Aquaman
Holmes and Watson?

2 comments:

julie said...

Love your annual list! Glad you're still doing it. I see maybe 4 adult movies a year (that are new releases) so it's good to have an idea of other movies in case I get a chance to see one on Netflix or something. Thanks!

Cardine said...

I'm so glad at least someone is still reading this!