Sunday, January 12, 2020

The 2019 Movie Post

Well, I didn't really spend that much time in 2019 watching movies, so I ended up waiting until I had watched three more movies at the beginning of 2020, and now I am writing this, just so there's not an abysmal number of movies on here.

Here are my previous years' posts: 2018201720162015201420132012201120102009200820072006, and 2005.





1. Knives Out - I decided that this one got the first position because it was a year of generally derivative movies, either because they were part of a series or because they were a remake. This was the most entertaining original movie of them all. It seems like it could be a stage play because it didn't really have a lot of necessary scenes, but I enjoyed it as a movie, anyway. The cast was great, I laughed at a lot of the lines, and I just enjoyed it, in general.

2. Captain Marvel - I really enjoyed this one because it was so 90s nostalgic for me. The music, the style, and all of that was actually quite consistent. The plot was entertaining, and there was a bit of humor in it. I mean, it's pretty fake, too, but the comedy was enough that I could tolerate the fakeryness.

3. Yesterday - This was a fun movie that I laughed about. The main character was really enjoyable to follow. He was just a regular guy that had unfortunate stuff happen to him, so I thought it was easy enough to relate to him. It was like someone's daydream from the middle of a boring class brought to the movie screen and adding in a good soundtrack.

4. Ford v Ferrari - I mean, I didn't really like the ending very much, but overall, this was an enjoyable movie that was based on a true story. I don't follow racing at all, so I appreciated that I didn't have to know a lot about it to enjoy the movie.

5. Spider-Man: Far From Home - I liked this movie because it was funny. I didn't care a lot for the antagonist nor his henchmen, but it was still enjoyable generally.

6. Shazam! - For me, this was enjoyable because I watched it pretty soon after I decided to become licensed as a foster parent. It was a cute movie that was also funny, and although it seemed to be cinematically more in the vein of something like a Power Rangers movie, I thought it was an enjoyable film overall.

7. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - I enjoyed this movie, but I also kind of didn't like some parts. The gigantic battle at the end, along with the stadium full of CGI hooded figures was a bit much for me. It just didn't feel very... personal. I will have to see it again to know really how I feel about it, but on purely the first viewing, it was probably in my bottom three of Star Wars movies.

8. Avengers: Endgame - To be quite honest, I kind of didn't like this movie the first time I saw it. It was so sad and depressing, and I think I was having some hormonal imbalances at the time I saw it. I was so cranky. But anyway, after the second viewing, I liked it a bit better. It's still on the lower end of all the Marvel movies for me, but I accept it as a decent climax of the Avengers movies. Of course I have some issues with all the time travel stuff, but that is normal for me when you add time travel in the mix.

9. Little Women - I mean, as far as remakes go, this is a solid one. I think I like Amy the best in this version over all of the other versions of the movie. I'm not sure how I feel about going back and forth through time for this, but I enjoyed it overall and cried my eyes out. I didn't have any tissues. It was messy.

10. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World - I definitely liked this movie better than the second one. I enjoyed this movie, and I think it was a great continuation of this excellent series.

I also saw:

Glass - I didn't like this one as well as either Unbreakable or Split, but it was alright.

Toy Story 4 - This was good and funny, but I think the creepy dolls did me in. I also didn't necessarily care for the overall storyline, really. It just wasn't as good as the rest of the Toy Story movies.

Downton Abbey - Yes, I saw this. I am ashamed. I watched Downton Abbey since I stumbled upon the very first episode the first time it aired on TV. This was an unnecessary movie, but it was still enjoyable. Enjoyable, but WHY did it need to be made? Money. That is why.

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part - This was enjoyable. I think these movies are cute kids movies.

Aladdin - I wasn't going to see this, but then I went on a date to this movie. It was better than I thought it was going to be. It was a decent movie, and I thought everyone did a great job acting. The script, songs, and storyline were great, and everything, but then after watching it, I had to pull out my VHS of the animated Aladdin movie and watch it because that is the one I like. I'm not interested in seeing any more remakes of Disney movies that were perfectly good to begin with. This probably makes me an old person.

I also saw from 2017:

The Space Between Us - It was okay. It was kind of boring and not great but okay.

Wonder - This was a cute movie, and I liked it.

I also saw from 2018:

Maze Runner: The Death Cure - I couldn't really remember what had happened in the previous installments with what characters, and I just didn't care a lot about this movie. Also, it wasn't very memorable.

Ocean's 8 - I'm so glad that I didn't spend money on this movie (Netflix disc - yes, I still do that). It was a fine movie as far as movies go, but it was such a copy of the first Ocean's movie of the reboot. I mean, there was even the moment when one of the female characters was eating, just like how Brad Pitt did in Ocean's 11, and I thought it was just such a copy that was full of itself with all the stars and whatnot.

Christopher Robin - It was a cute movie.

Crazy Rich Asians - I liked it, and it was interesting to see all the exorbitance portrayed in this movie. I was like, but WHY? (I've been asking that question a lot with movies lately. It must be a phase for me.)

The Nutcracker and the Four Realms - Not terrible, per se, but also not great. I think that perhaps I've never really liked the story of The Nutcracker a whole ton, even though I do enjoy the music and the dancing typically.

Creed II - I enjoyed this. I do think that Rocky IV was always my favorite of the movies, but it also got a little boring for me in the middle.

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle - I like the story of The Jungle Book, so I enjoyed it overall, but this was probably my least favorite of all of them. I didn't really care for the ending and what they were trying to convey as a message. It felt a bit too overtly preachy.

Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse - I think people over-hyped this movie. It was fine as far as movies go, but it was also a bit too after-school cartoon for me.

Mary Poppins Returns - It was cute enough, but WHY?

Aquaman - I thought that the artistry was excellent in this movie. Like, it was a cool movie to look at, and I didn't have a problem with the characters or the storyline necessarily, but I guess I just wasn't that into it. I can't explain it. I guess I just didn't have chemistry with this movie.

Chappaquiddick - It was sort of a slog to get through. It was interesting but also pretty boring. I'm amazed at how everything was presented, and it's really uncomfortable that the public just doesn't seem to care a lot about what public figures have actually done in their lives.

Instant Family - I didn't really know what this was until I started working on a foster parenting license and then everyone was recommending to me that I watch it. It was cute and kind of humorous. It also didn't help me to feel less terrified of foster parenting.

Movies I still want to see from 2019:

Dark Phoenix
Men in Black: International
The Peanut Butter Falcon
Blinded By the Light
Abominable
Jojo Rabbit
Midway
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Frozen II
Jumanji: The Next Level
Cats (Seriously, I never saw it in the theater, and it looks super creepy, but it's like I have to just to know it's bad for myself and also to see if I can even make it through the whole movie.)

Please comment with any recommendations you may have! I hope that you were able to enjoy movies, as well!

1 comment:

Banana said...

I want to see JoJo rabbit, too.