Sunday, January 03, 2021

The 2020 Movie Post

Well, 2020 was a weird year for movies because of COVID-19. My movie theater did have some new movies and new showings, but there really weren't very many new releases at all this year. I decided to still write this, even though I won't really have hardly any movies to talk about. I've always been of the opinion that just because you have fewer of something doesn't mean that it isn't still valuable. So I give you my 2020 Movie Post.

Here are my previous years' posts: 20192018201720162015201420132012201120102009200820072006, and 2005.




1. Tenet - I guess I just like movies that make you think. And action/adventure movies. This was both of those, so I liked it. I feel like I kept up with what was happening in the movie pretty well. Like, I was pretty sure early on who was doing the various things. That wasn't a surprise to me at all. Even though I wasn't surprised, I still really enjoyed it. Thank you for making this movie, movie people!

2. Pixar's Onward - This was a really cute and nerdy movie. It was such a warm-hearted movie. It kind of breaks your heart at the end a bit, but it was still really good and fun.

3. Pixar's Soul - I liked this movie because it was kind of a travesty but also really good. I liked the reminder to enjoy the little moments of every day and to recognize the good in the simple moments. I think life is really like that. I do have some amazing things that happen, but most of my life is the small and simple moments.

4. Hamilton - I was wanting to see this show for a while, but I didn't want to spend as much money as it was costing to see it. I was happy to be able to watch this show on Disney+ finally. I had tried to listen to the soundtrack earlier but couldn't really get through it. I enjoy the soundtrack mostly now because I have seen the show. I liked it. It wasn't perfect, and I'm not a fangirl of it, but really, it was pretty clever, good, musically entertaining, etc.

5. The Social Dilemma - This was an interesting show because it gives feedback for how addictive social media networks can be. I agree that they can be, and after watching the movie I have noticed ways in which Facebook does try to ensnare me to keep checking it. I am totally addicted to social networks, I think. However, I also think that the A.I. is not as brilliant as they think it is. So often I am shown things that I am not interested in at all or I get ads for stuff I seriously just bought and will never purchase again. Anyway, it was good, but I think it was also overly full of itself.

I also saw from 2019:

Men in Black: International - It was fun, but it wasn't particularly memorable for me. They can keep making these movies because they have created a fun world that has a lot of potential for storyline and humor. I'd probably still see them.

The Peanut Butter Falcon - This was a cute movie with a decent plot. I enjoyed this movie, and I feel like there should be more family-friendly good message-type movies out there.

Jojo Rabbit - I was talking about this movie the other day, and someone asked how you can have a comedy about the WWII holocaust? Great question. I still don't know how they did it, but they did. I think there was a sufficient amount of horror in the movie, as well, so it's not like the movie made light of the situation. Somehow they succeeded. It was a good movie.

Frozen II - I didn't like this one as well as the first movie, but it was still good. I still have a hard time with sequels to Disney movies for some reason.

Jumanji: The Next Level - I actually just saw this on a flight the other day. I think they did a great job of maintaining the same humor and feel of the first one. I mean, these are still stupid movies, but they are fun, and I laughed at it.

The Upside - This was a decently good movie. I enjoyed the premise of it and that it was a feel-good movie. I think I ended up seeing it one and a half times, but it was enjoyable for both viewings.

Harriett - Of course I was going to watch this. I just had to figure out that it was actually out. It never came to my theater, so I got the Netflix disc. I still had that at the time. Sadly, I got rid of it because I just don't watch many movies anymore. I feel like I don't have time for it. Anyway, I really liked it. Harriett Tubman is one of my favorite historical figures of all time. She was an amazing person, and I was glad for a decent movie about her. I enjoyed it well enough, even with some of its flaws.

Movies I still want to see from 2019:

Dark Phoenix
Blinded By the Light
Abominable
Midway
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Cats

Movies I still want to see from 2020:

Emma
The Call of the Wild
Dolittle
Wonder Woman 1984
The Croods: A New Age
The New Mutants
Bill & Ted Face the Music
Mulan

There would probably be more if I had paid better attention to the movie industry in 2020, but I just haven't. I think that 2020 was just a crazy year for everyone. For me I had a lot of life changes, like I'm a mom now. But also because of COVID, my head wasn't in the game as much as it could have been. I think I was emotionally exhausted for much of 2020. I'm sure a lot/most people were that way. And it's not like I stopped working or anything. I was lucky enough to be able to continue working. I was noticing that this year I did cut out a bit. We all have to shuffle around our time when circumstances change, so I noticed that I cut out a lot of my media consumption. That just tanked. I don't know if/when it will come back. I do enjoy movies still, but I don't know when I'll be able to sit down and watch many movies. We'll see how I do in 2021, I guess!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I enjoy reading your movie posts. I don't really have anything to contribute as I rarely see anything from your lists. But, I still enjoy hearing what you think of them!

Also, I recall seeing Emma and there's a bum. That is all. Good day to you.

Cardine said...

Good to know, Sarah. My sister said that they started watching Emma but then they stopped for some reason but couldn't remember why. It was probably the bum. I actually watched the old Gwynyth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam version a couple of months ago because that is a quality film, and I told my teen that they had to watch it before they watched Clueless again. The teen loves Clueless, and I'm always trying to get people to experience the Jane Austen era version of the story before the 90s version or if they have seen Clueless and liked it. I am such an old person who wants people to know the history.

Banana said...

I’m commenting so you know I read it! Thanks for the reviews. I even sometimes come here if I want a good movie to watch and don’t know what to pick.

Cardine said...

Thanks for commenting, Banana!