Lately I've been pondering a topic that has probably been on my mind from watching too many movies. Or maybe it's friends who have gotten married. Either way, I have heard some mention of people who are single for some time getting set in their ways. I am single and have been for some time, so I've been thinking about some of the ways in which I am set.
So here is a list. I'm sure it's a partial list:
1. I usually eat in the living room or at the bar. Tables are only for visitors or family, and that's only if it's like a real dinner and not just snacks. I'm sure I can change, but for now, I am set in this way.
2. I do laundry sometime between Friday night and Saturday night. Sometimes the clothes get put away, and sometimes they don't get put away until Monday.
3. I blow dry my hair at my vanity table. I also read scriptures then, so don't bug me. (In fact, it's best to not bug me in the morning.)
4. Speaking of blow drying my hair, I curse my electrical system every time I have to go flip the breaker when I'm doing so. It trips frequently. Grrrrr. It will probably always annoy me to some degree.
5. The toilet seat is never up, unless I am cleaning the bathroom. This will not change.
6. Speaking of toilets, the paper drapes over the roll. OVER.
7. I press snooze. Multiple times.
8. I get up at the last possible minute to get ready, so sometimes if things don't go smoothly (see #4), I'm late.
9. The silverware faces down. It really does. If it doesn't get clean, I can rewash it. I don't want to stab myself when reaching in. If they are facing up, I would definitely stab myself. Blood = gross. Also, are you touching the dinnerware when you get it out of the dishwasher? See #12 below.
10. There must always be cheese of some kind in the fridge.
11. Chips and food in general shall not be left open in the air. Buy the clips. Stale chips are terrible. Does it really hurt to close it up? There are critters all around us, and seriously, don't be so lazy.
12. People should wash their hands. Frequently.
13. The entire bed is my sleeping area. I admit that it will be hard to adjust to having to share one.
Don't worry, there are also ways in which I am not set. The problem is that if someone else is set in these ways, they could possibly be annoyed with me. Ways in which I am not set:
1. So what's the big deal about squeezing the toothpaste from the end? I mean, really? I don't even think about the squeezing, and all of my toothpaste comes out nicely. What are we afraid of here? I guess I must not get it. Maybe I haven't been confronted with an annoying toothpaste-user? I mean, if someone doesn't put the cap on, well, see #11 above. I get that, but I don't get the squeezing thing. Maybe I just do it "right" but don't know it. It isn't even a cognizant choice for me.
2. I guess I really could live with an "under" toilet paper user, but whenever I put the roll on, I would put it in the over position. It is my preference. I guess I'm not so "set" in this.
3. I would be okay with someone else being in charge of the thermostat, unless of course my body started shutting down from the freeze.
4. I don't have to be in charge of the remote, as long as the person isn't a constant flipper, in which case I will accidentally lose the remote.
5. I can drive or I can not drive or I can sometimes drive. It's not a control thing for me.
So... I don't feel like thinking of any more. I guess I'm more set in my ways than I thought. Are you set in your ways? Are there ways in which you were set that you didn't realize until you got married? Do tell.